CIAT is currently seeking applicants for a Gender Coordinator position. Building on prior and ongoing research, s/he will lead the development of research projects, identifying critical areas of work within the framework of the Center strategy as well as research strategies of CGIAR Global Research Programs. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in conceptualizing, developing and implementing research projects/ programs, with field research experience in developing countries. S/he will have a record of high-quality research outputs and experience in communicating research to diverse audiences.
– Act as the focal point for CIAT in gender research with external actors and partners in close liaison with the three research areas -Soils, Agro-biodiversity and Decision and Policy Analysis (DAPA)
– Provide intellectual leadership to guide research on gender and agriculture across thematic areas of CIAT –and its close relationship with CGIAR global programs- to improve the outcomes of CIAT’s work on improving livelihoods.
– Assist in building a foundation for expanding the Center’s capacity to conduct social and gender analysis and collaborate in grant proposal writing with other scientists
– Assist in building partnerships with academic institutions, international, regional and national organizations to increase capacity and partnerships to conduct gender research
– Produce quality publications, including articles in peer-reviewed journals, policy briefs and other outputs for a range of audiences in coordination with other gender/ social science research experts at CIAT
– Represent CIAT in international meetings and conferences.
– PhD in agricultural economics, sociology, anthropology or related social science field with application to agriculture or rural development and a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
– A proven professional record on agriculture related gender research extending to study design, quantitative and qualitative analytic methods and peer-reviewed output
– Demonstrated ability to develop and manage multiple partnerships, and to develop successful funding proposals
– Ability to communicate effectively with different target audiences regarding substantive issues.
– The ability to network with scientists and research institutions on a global scale
– Experience working in multi-disciplinary and multicultural environments
– Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English/ Spanish is a plus but not necessary
Terms of employment:
The position is internationally recruited and based at CIAT Headquarters in Cali, Colombia. The initial contract in the Scientist category will be for two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the CIAT Human Resources Office to Andrea Linares (firstname.lastname@example.org) and should clearly indicate “Gender Research Coordinator”.
Closing date for applications: 8th of October 2014 or until a suitable candidate is identified.